Thursday, August 18, 2011

Review: Halo


Title: Halo
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Series: Halo #1
Release Date: August 31st, 2010
Number of Pages: 484
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Source: Bought
Three angels – Gabriel, the warrior ; Ivy, the healer ; and Bethany, the youngest and most human – are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments.
Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong.
The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her?
Sweet, Sweet, Sweet! I fell in love with the story. I feared I would be put off by the God sent mission, as I’m not a big fan of book with religious undertone, but I really liked it! I didn’t really know what to expect. Yet, I was surprised.

I like Bethany. She was sweet, and I love how human she felt. She really wanted to learn about what it is to be human. I loved her innocence. Through her eyes, we can see the world differently, as she never has experienced most of what we take for granted. I didn’t really like her friends. Except Xavier. I absolutely adored him. He was so good with Bethany. Also, I really liked his relationship with his family. It was nice to see such a great dynamic in a family. I also really enjoyed the relationship between Gabriel, Bethany and Ivy.

The story is good. Slow, but interesting. There isn’t that much action in this book, because it is more about Bethany struggle with living the human life without losing her way from her angel “rules”.

The writing was okay and engaging. I really wanted to know what would happen next. 

I enjoyed it, and I definitely will check out the sequel Hades. Great summer read for me!

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is my kind of book but I LOVE this cover. It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO love this cover but have heard that it's super slow. I might try it out still though, because i really like its premise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Evie about the cover, as it's gorgeous! Didn't really care for Bethany, as I thought she was too selfish, especially for an angel. Am curious to see how everything turns out though, so will read any sequels as they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is one of the main reasons I bought this book, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete