Monday, August 01, 2011

Review: Hourglass


Title: Hourglass
Author: Claudia Gray
Release Date: March 9th, 2010
Series: Evernight# 3
Number of Pages: 339
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Bought
After escaping from Evernight, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and Lucas seek refuge with Black Cross, an elite group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at its hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend—the vampire Balthazar—all her secrets threaten to come out.
 Soon, Bianca and Lucas are on the run, pursued not only by Black Cross, but by the powerful vampires of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they run, Bianca can't escape her destiny. Bianca and Lucas have always believed their love could survive anything—but can it survive what's to come?

I waited until this book came out in paperback, because I didn’t enjoy this series enough after the first two to pay twenty dollars when I can wait and get it for 10 dollars. Even if I didn’t enjoy that much the first two books, I enjoy this series enough not to regret reading it. It made me want to read the fourth one, Afterlife, as soon as it comes out in paperback. Again, I think I can wait long enough for it to be available.

It’s not that the book is not interesting. I just wasn’t really captivated by it. The story is kind of repetitive, the relationship a little too obsessive by moments. It was too slow for me to really get into the story enough to enter the world of Evernight completely. The ending left me feeling just “meh”. Yes, it was surprising, but the obsessiveness of the relationship was simply too visible in the ending, which got on my nerves.

Of course, at the root of this relationship is Bianca. Annoying, strangely too mature for her age and too naïve by moment girl that made me want to smack her behind the head at every couple of pages. Lucas, the other half of this obsessive couple, was a little less annoying. Yet, I didn’t like him as much as I did before. The other character that lost its appeal to me was Balthazar. I mean, come on! Why can’t you see that Charity is an evil hag from Hell! Just for that, I don’t like you as much now…

Even if I will probably read Gray’s other books, I’m not in love with this series. It’s one of the reasons why I don’t mind waiting for the paperback. Still, I like Claudia Gray’s style. Worth giving a shot to this, but I would go for the library or paperback copy!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting review. Its definitely enough for me to want to check out this series myself and see what I think. The cover is beautiful.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What always really annoyed me about these books is that Bianca is the all-powerful vampire thing, but throughout the series, Lucas is the badass! I mean, honestly?! How does THAT work out?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kenna I don't know. I felt it was normal. After all, Bianca was never forced in a situation where she needed to fight before meeting Lucas. Lucas was raised to kill vampire. He had to be a badass, no?

    ReplyDelete