Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Nine Lives of Chloe King


Title: The Nine Lives of Chloe King (The Fallen, The Stolen and The Chosen)
Author: Liz Braswell (writing as Celia Thimson)
Series: Nine Lives of Chloe King #1-3
Release Date: June 7th, 2011
Number of Pages: 771
Pubisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Bought
Chloe King is a normal girl. She goes to class (most of the time), fights with her mom, and crushes on a boy…or two. But around her sixteenth birthday, Chloe finds that perhaps she isn’t so normal after all. There’s the heightened night vision, the super fast reflexes – oh, and the claws.
As she discovers who she is – and where she comes from – it is clear she is not alone. And someone is trying to get her.
Chloe has nine lives. But will nine be enough?
The reason why I got this book was really simple. I had heard about the series and really wanted to check to book out before watching it. In the end, I ended up reading it after watching half the first season. Where I loved the TV show, I just liked the books.

The thing is, I was expecting a story line similar to the TV show. Reality is, that is the same basic ideas, used differently. I felt like the way Chloe King reacted to what was going on was more logical in the TV show than in the book.

The biggest problem I had in the book was the characters. Chloe ends up coming up a little bitchy. She also has two guys in the book, but she chooses one simply because he will kiss her when the other wont. Blah. Alyec was extremely annoying in the book to me. Yet, the same character in the TV show made me swoon from the beginning. In the book, he sounds like a complete idiotic jerk. A little too full of himself too. I don’t really like Brian in both stories, but they are so different that it annoyed me. In one, he doesn’t know anything about what Chloe is, and in the other he is completely aware of her true nature.

The other thing that was missing for me in the book is a character they had added in the TV show; Jasmine. I love her character, so it made me sad that she wasn’t there. Yet, I ended up finding an other character in that book that I really liked, Kim. Please appear on the TV show!

The writing was easy to follow, and the pace was perfect to keep you captivated. The only thing that annoyed me in the writing is the mistakes in the French she used. I hate when authors use a language they don’t know and don’t proofread it by someone who does. Here’s an example:
“ “Il faut que nous parlous,” Kim repeated patiently.”
It should have been: Il faut que nous parlions.
It is so easy to go online and find the present subjunctive of a verb; I don’t understand why she kept making the same mistake for the “nous”

Anyway, I still enjoyed the bind up. I still think the TV show was better, which is why I hope it will be picked for a second season.

Don’t forget to check out the season finale tomorrow on ABC family!

3 comments:

  1. I too watch the show, and though it started off shaky for me, I know really, really enjoy it. Its fun and has great characters, with some pretty awesome action. Its like a more subtle/waterdowned version of Buffy, though I do feel with each ep, it is getting a little darker and a little more serious. Hope it gets another season! I also have the book, but have yet to read it, cus its huge (way big font) and does seem way different then the series. But still, I will prob read it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I haven't been watching the show but have been thinking about checking it out on DVD. I was interested in the book, but sounds like reading it is not necessary. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonata wristwatches discuss about it category, excellent in addition to luxury. hublot replica Many people come in a vast field connected with styles and designs geared to just about every special occasion in addition to funds. This simple options usually are much better intended for regular work with. hublot replica sale This fancier people usually are perfect for get-togethers in addition to marriage ceremony. This trendy in addition to modern people usually are suitable for this fresh in addition to effective persons. rolex replica Men and women can certainly decide on trendy in addition to tasteful types acceptable on their desires. fake hublot Rupa Aggarwal would be the well known article author in this article my business is telling you in relation to Sonata wristwatches discuss about it category, excellent in addition to luxury. rolex replica Many people come in a vast field connected with styles and designs geared to just about every special occasion in addition to funds. you can get sonata wristwatches on the net in addition to we can easily select the Sonata variety illustrates good usefulness having tasteful Silver, clever Aluminum in addition to sporty Superfibre wristwatches.

    ReplyDelete