Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Review: Hunger


Title: Hunger
Author: Jackie Morse Kessler
Series: The Horseman of the Apocalypse: The Rider’s Quartet #1
Release Date: October 18th, 2010
Number of Pages: 177
Publisher: Harcourt Graphia
Source: Bought

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
 
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
 
Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?
I had heard little about this series, and I was really curious about it. I started reading it, and I must say I wasn’t that impressed with it. It was simply okay for me. The thing was that it was really slow paced for me, and considering how short the book is, I was really disappointed by that.

Don’t expect this book to be full of action, or anything like that. This book isn’t filled with suspense. It is more about her personal growth of the Main Character, Lisa. It is also about her anorexia, as she is becoming Famine, because of it. Because of that, the story felt heavy for me. The struggle she was facing because of anorexia wasn’t a subject that is easy to read. I just didn’t feel like I got any thing out of her struggle. Even thought it felt real to me, there was so little information given to the reader to really make a big impact.

I couldn’t really connect with the characters. There was nothing in them that really made me love or like them. The only one I enjoyed reading about was Death. I found him to be the funniest.

The writing was great, that was one of the great aspects of this book. It simply wasn’t captivating enough. The idea was interesting; there simply wasn’t enough action to keep me entertained.

I really have Rage, the second quarter of this series. I’ll probably read it, but not right now. Summer makes me want to read lighter books, to go with the weather.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I was thinking about reading these and I already have it on my Nook. Perhaps I'll wait a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Rage a bit more than Hunger. I agree, the story was more about Lisa's struggle with anorexia so it wasn't really fast paced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It offers special pattern broadcasters to help consistently innovate within the types in addition to technological know-how so it delivers. replica cartier This mum or dad model Titan promotes it is merchandise within unique sandwich brands- Fastrack, Sonata, Helios in addition to Xylys. cartier replica sale Having a great number of models in addition to a lot of libraries, you can certainly uncover one options for most occasions – some sort of proper affair, relaxed day out, physical activities or maybe for just a vogue prompted costume. replica breitling You possibly can opt for completely new operates that you'd like to raise ones number of wristwatches. fake chanel bags Invest in people of which present time in analog or maybe a digital data format or maybe people of which indicate combined time period. If you cannot account for the latest time along with the time frame, invest in one who features both equally beyond just the time period present of this decision.

    ReplyDelete