Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Eve

Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey
Series: Eve #1
Release Date: October 4th
Number of Pages: 318
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
 The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.
Eve was the kind of book that I ended up enjoying but find hard to explain why. I find it to but captivating and fun to read. Yet, when it comes down to certain details, the more I think about them, the more I realized that they don’t make sense to me. Do I make sense?

I didn’t really like Eve. I found her to goes from one opposite to the other in a matter of seconds. This seemed strange to me. For example, she turns her back on what she was taught her whole life and her friends really easily. I know that she sees the truth about their future out of the school, but I feel like a normal character would try to find a rational explanation before turning her back on what she was told her whole life.

Of course, there’s also her reaction to Caleb. I found that she ended trusting him really fast considering she was told all her life that men were bad. Yet she falls for him fast. That’s another thing that annoying me. Look at the description. They tell us that she falls slowly for him, yet it wasn’t slow at all. I liked Caleb though, even if he something was almost presented as the Knight in shinning armor. I liked that he seems to be considerate for Eve, who has never face the reality of the outside world.

I have to say that the world made the book for me. I love the world Carey has created. That’s the main reason I really can’t wait to read the sequel Once. The other thing I really liked was Arden. I think the book would have been better if she had been the narrator. She was simply presented as a stronger character in my opinion.

Overall I liked it. It’s the kind of book that you can’t really explain completely why you liked it, but you still did.

Did I confuse you?

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! Sometimes it's just not possible to define what you are feeling about a book 100-percently. :D

    I've heard many mixed things about this book, especially about Eve herself, so I'm still not sure whether I want to read it or not. It sounds like such a great concept, but I don't like characters that don't stay true to themselves. But at the same time I'm still very intrigued by the summary of this. :D Maybe I'll get a paperback copy sometime.
    Thanks for your review!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is an original story, so different, and so much better than most of the other young adult books out there right now. The writing is great, the characters are well written, the story is unique. Give it a try. You'll be glad you did.

    Mariz
    Look at Top Towing in Georgetown TX service

    ReplyDelete