Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: The Future of Us

Title: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Series: None
Release Date: November 21st, 2011
Number of Pages: 356
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Bought
It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet.
Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.
Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.
Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.

This was one book I was really excited to read. After all, how could I not be excited about a new book form Jay Asher (I love Thirteen Reasons Why!). I thought it would make me a little nostalgic, but I may be a little too young for that. A lot of the references were a little lost to me, being only five at the time. Is it strange that I don’t remember a time without a computer? (scary, but true) That’s one of the great aspects of the book. I think it will attract to older readers because of that. It took me a while to get into the books because of all the references, but once I got over them, I couldn’t put it down.

One of the main ideas of this book is how every choice affects our lives. Emma tries to change her future through her actions, checking every time to say how it affected her future life. One of the things that made me think though is the reaction they have when they see their Facebook pages. It reminded me of the fact that most of us weren’t too interested in sharing that much info online, only to end up putting everything about us on those pages. It feels strange, doesn’t?

I love the story. I ended up cheering for certain characters or wanting to scream at certain characters to grow up. I really liked the main characters, Emma and Josh (but I preferred Josh, to be honest). Emma was fun and entertaining, but she was so dense some time! How could she not see what was right in front of her eyes! She is the one character I really wanted to scream at. Josh was simply lovable. I thought he was the perfect balance to Emma’s narration, giving us a different kind of voice about what was going on. Of course, I can’t really forget about the two best friends, who were the perfect relief when the drama was present between Josh and Emma.

It was an amazing book that will probably please both the younger audience that may not remember those years, and the older that will love the nostalgic side.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I heard so many good things about this one - so excited to read it! Plus, I hear it has references to the 90's which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one as well. We always had a computer in my house, when most of my friends didn't have any. I remember just getting the internet. Great review! I need to get this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mrs Q. I don't even remember getting the Internet! I think we had it for as long as I remember (I have to say I don't remember much before I was 7. Mostly stuff that weren't related to computer...) It felt a little strange to read about that at first, as it is a really I've never experienced. It is crazy to think that most of us didn't have Internet 15 years ago since Internet is everywhere these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I'll admit that I haven't been interested in this one but your review has bought some interest. Gonna check it out

    Thanks for stopping by StuckInBooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this one before but it sounds really good. I'm intrigued. Thanks I'm going to add it to my tbr pile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing! I loved Thirteen Reasons Why, too, but I hadn't thought about reading The Future of Us. Now, though, I'm adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wondered about that too. I think that those "ooh, I remember that!" moments won't draw in the teens, but the story stands well enough on its own that I don't think it will matter. And for those of us with a little more maturity, shall we say, it just makes it more fun.

    ReplyDelete