Friday, November 18, 2011

Review: Saving June

Title: Saving June
Author: Hannah Harrington
Series: None
Release Date: November 22nd, 2011
Number of Pages: 336
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley

When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life.

This is the kind of book that I find the hardest to really talk about without sounding like a complete idiot. This is the kind of book that leaves me speechless, because it shares the emotions beautifully. It is so easy to sound fake or cheesy when you try to write an emotional book.

This is why I loved this book: I believed in the emotions. I was captivated by Harper’s grief, by her need to do things right for her sister. This is the kind of book that makes me cry.  This is the kind of books that will make you forget about what’s going on around you. This is the kind of books that makes you feel like you know the characters.

Everything was beautifully done for me. I was falling for Jake and all his music knowledge. He was the guy I would want by my side if I had to go through something like that. Still, for me, Harper made the book. She made her way to my heart, even thought she isn’t the most loveable characters. She doesn’t try to be, which is one of the thing that I loved about her. She wasn’t the vulnerable character that you simply feel bad for. Harper impressed me by her strength, without making me feel like didn’t care. It was easy to see that she cared for her sister. Yet, she was able to stay strong through most of the things life threw in her way, because she had to do this one thing for her sister.

This book is the kind of novel that left me speechless, and that made me feel what the main character was feeling without much effort. Yet, it never felt too heavy for me, as Hannah Harrington was able to balance everything to make it the beautiful story that it is.

4 comments:

  1. I love emotional reads and I've heard this is definitely one of those. I also love books leaving you speechless, so maybe it's time to put this on the to-read list. I'm definitely intrigued! Great review. :) I'm so glad you liked it this much!

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I love how some books are centered more on the emotions of the characters than the happenings. My sister read this book and loved it, and with your review i think im going to pick it up soon. I love books like this.

    Great review :)

    - juhina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY want to read this one! Especially since you liked it so much! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I've been anxious for this one for so long! :) I'm glad to hear that it's real and that the emotional aspect is well done. As you mentioned, it's not easily done and it's not always done well.

    ReplyDelete