Friday, November 11, 2011

Review: The Predicteds

Title: The Predicteds
Author: Christine Seifert
Series: None
Release Date: September 1st, 2011
Number of Pages: 342
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Source: Bought
Your future is not your own...
"We wanted to know what makes a good kid good and a bad kid bad. Can you blame us for that? We found an astoundingly, marvelously simple answer: The brain isn't so much a complicated machine as it is a crystal ball. If you look into it, you will see everything you want to know."
-Dr. Mark Miliken, senior researcher at Utopia Laboratories
Who will it be?
Will the head cheerleader get pregnant?
Is the student council president a secret drug addict?
The whole school is freaking out about PROFILE, an experimental program that can predict students' future behavior.
The only question Daphne wants answered is whether Jesse will ask her out...but he's a Predicted, and there's something about his future he's not telling her.

I hadn’t heard much about this book when I bought it. To be honest, I bought it because the cover caught my eyes. I have to say I don’t regret picking up this book.

I was really curious about the whole PROFILE thing, because I found it to be such a crazy idea! I have to say that’s probably what really made me like this book. The idea that a test can tell you who you will be is extremely scary to me. What about free will? I don’t believe in judging someone because of anything else but actions. After all, actions speak louder than words. I like what the author try to say through the book. That’s really what got me captivated. It wasn’t really the characters, but this program.

It’s kind of scary to imagine we could end up with that kind of project in our lives. How would life be if we were predicted to do a violent crime, but we could never imagine doing it ourselves? How can we judge someone for something he hasn’t done yet?

The characters didn’t really get me interested. Jesse didn’t really strike me as an amazing male lead, and Daphne was a little flat for me. Her friends weren’t really friends, if I dare say. They were just annoyingly bleh. I don’t really use the term bleh, but for them I will.

I have to say I enjoyed the book, the twists and most things except for the friends. I just wished we could have learned more about the PROFILE experiment. I’m quite curious about the kind of test they had to do to get to those results.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book too, but you're right, it's totally plot driven. The twist were awesome and although I saw some things coming, there were a few things that came out of nowhere. The most disturbing part for me was how the town just jumped on the test results as the be all end all when they had known these kids their entire lives. Scary.

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I'm really excited to read this one now!! It sounds super awesome, I'll have to pick it up next time I'm at the bookstore! Awesome review!!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete