Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Review: Once a Witch

Title: Once  A Witch
Auhtor:Carolyn MacCullough
Release Date: September 14th, 2009
Series: Withc #1
Number of Pages: 292
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Source: Bought
-
Tamsin Greene comes from a long line of witches, and she was supposed to be one of the most Talented among them. But Tamsin's magic never showed up. Now seventeen, Tamsin attends boarding school in Manhattan, far from her family. But when a handsome young professor mistakes her for her very Talented sister, Tamsin agrees to find a lost family heirloom for him. The search—and the stranger—will prove to be more sinister than they first appeared, ultimately sending Tamsin on a treasure hunt through time that will unlock the secret of her true identity, unearth the sins of her family, and unleash a power so vengeful that it could destroy them all. This is a spellbinding display of storytelling that will exhilarate, enthrall, and thoroughly enchant.
-

Honestly, I bought this book because of its pretty cover. I’m not ashamed of that. I’m really happy to have done so, because I really enjoyed it.

At first, the story was a little slow for me, but once it really start, I just couldn’t put it down. One action led to another, which led to another… There is always something happening. Plus, there a cute little romance going on, which I did like. The ending tells you there is more to come, but it doesn’t end with a mean cliffhanger. I was happy about that, because too many books lately have giving us some crazy cliffhanger.

I really liked the characters, but I can’t really say that I like the main character’s name. I don’t like the name Tamsin, it sounds strange to me. (Sorry if someone has that name…) Yet, I like her as a character. She is strong, intelligent, and sometime she can be the complete opposite. Rowena annoyed me a little at the beginning, because she seemed to think she was better than Tamsin (which I think is cruel. Why do the older sisters usually are the one who think they are better than their younger sister. I say “Power to the younger sibling!” Gabriel was my favorite. Come on; cute, musician, and talented! What can you ask for more (well, being real could be nice, but it’s so overrated these days.)? I can’t wait to see him more in the next book.

I like the world MacCullough has created. It’s realistic, and well written. I can’t wait to read more from her.

I would give it a 4/5! Now I only have to wait until August to read Always a Witch.

3 comments:

  1. I actually wasn't aware that the next book is coming out in August, so now I"m looking forward to that! I definitely agree about the start of the book, it did feel a bit slow. Things definitely picked up, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I agree that it starts slow, but it sure picked up. Loved Gabriel too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 going to in the animate as well as hublot replica metal combination about the call, the actual bezel and also the straps, as well as people is going to be scared in order to plan which this can be a reproduction replica watches uk and never the actual aboriginal. The actual tag heuer replica uk is a good option within reproduction wrist watches having a choice that means it is simple to find some thing for the design as well as requirements. Purchase rado replica as well as display your own luxurious jewelry right now. When you are looking for a panerai replica sale you no doubt want to be on trend and also receive a high quality product that will be reliable. At our replica watches shops and online store can offer a huge range of timepieces from a variety of brands such as rolex, breitling, cartier, hublot, tag heuer, omega replicas With omega replica sale on All Orders. Shop Our Range of Designer Replica Watches.

    ReplyDelete