Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: A Beautiful Dark

Title: A Beautiful Dark
Author:  Jocelyn Davies
Release Date: September 27th, 2011
Series: A Beautiful Dark #1
Number of Pages: 320
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: NetGalley
On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.
In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.
Even thought there were some things that bugged me in this book, I’m still really excited for the sequel.

The story is slow at first, which didn’t really help because I would have preferred something a little faster. It is a story about angel, of a girl caught between one “real” angel, Devin, and one fallen, Asher, if you can describe them like that. Of course, when I mean between them, it refers to another LOVE TRIANGLE. The thing is, I don’t know if they both like her, or if they simply don’t want the other to get to close to Skye. From the beginning, all Devin and Asher are nothing but rival, even when they try to talk to Skye.

I’m not sure about the characters; Asher and Devin really didn’t interest me at all. Devin is just too caught up in the  “I can’t do anything unless told by God (or angel higher than him.). Asher ended creeping me out a little (Seriously, why do mysterious guy watch girl sleeping, IN THEIR ROOM! I found it creepy when Edward Cullen did it; it still is creepy when Asher does it.) I would have preferred Sky and Ian, that’s for sure. There was something about Ian that just was more normal. Okay, I know that’s not what most girl want in a book, but Ian just seemed perfect for Skye. Skye, who of course never realizes that he really likes her? Sigh.

Still, I really enjoyed it once it ended it being faster paced. It was entertaining, fun and captivating. I can’t wait to read more about Skye. I really enjoyed Jocelyn Davis’ writing. It was fun to read, and it flows really well. 

4 comments:

  1. I really liked The Day Before and I definitely need to get a finished copy of this for my shelf. (Just to be able to look at the gorgeous cover whenever I want.)
    I agree with you that sometimes Asher and Devin's motives can seem a little bit questionable but I like them nonetheless. But Ian's awesome, too! :)

    Great review,
    Carina @ Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one because so far it's premise doesn't do much for me. The good guy/bad guy love triangle is a bit too overdone. I'm still interested enough to read it though. Is the plot more than that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a little more than that, but I feel like the rest of the series was enough for me to get excited. I think the author won't speak about it that much, and concentrate more on the main character than on the love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have bought a cartier replica from you end of January. I really like the rolex replica but I did not wear it yet, because it was too big on my wrist. Today I finally had time to take it to the rolex replica sale repair to take of some rings and make it the right size for my wrist. But the guy there could not do it and he said it is rolex replica sale possible as it looks like someone else has taken some rings of this cartier replica uk before and did not fixed rolex replica sale properly or like that. I'm breitling replica sale what is the reason but if the replica cartier can not be adjusted to my wrist rolex replica means that I will not be able to wear it.

    ReplyDelete