Friday, September 02, 2011

Review: Small Town Sinners

Title: Small Town Sinners
Author: Melissa Walkr
Series: None
Release Date: July 19th, 2011
Number of Pages: 272
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Bought
Lacey Anne Byer is a perennial good girl and lifelong member of the House of Enlightenment, the Evangelical church in her small town. With her driver's license in hand and the chance to try out for a lead role in Hell House, her church's annual haunted house of sin, Lacey's junior year is looking promising. But when a cute new stranger comes to town, something begins to stir inside her. Ty Davis doesn't know the sweet, shy Lacey Anne Byer everyone else does. With Ty, Lacey could reinvent herself. As her feelings for Ty make Lacey test her boundaries, events surrounding Hell House make her question her religion.
Melissa Walker has crafted the perfect balance of engrossing, thought-provoking topics and relatable, likable characters. Set against the backdrop of extreme religion, Small Town Sinners is foremost a universal story of first love and finding yourself, and it will stay with readers long after the last page.
I honestly don’t know what I was thinking when I bought this book. I don’t usually buy books that are overly religious because I don’t enjoy them. They usually feel like they are preaching to me, which really annoys me. Even thought this book didn’t preach to me, I still couldn’t enjoy it.

The thing is, I know the story is well written. It flows well, and there’s a nice little moral in the end. I should have been satisfied. Yet, I couldn’t.

The characters were great, as they play their part well. Yes, both main characters fall in love within a few day (even thought they don’t use the word) Still, I liked Ty a lot better than Lacey. Lacey sounded like a broken record so often, as she was repeating what her father had said, what the Bible says, and the other pastor said.

Still, what really bugged me in this book is that it simply presented everything that I hate in religion. I hate it when they take what is written to the extreme and then say that it is reality. Sins are not equal. Killing someone is not the same as lying. Yet, their church almost seemed to be preaching that. Also, don’t forget about their representation of the “wrongness” of gay-marriage. At that point, I really was tempted to throw that book out of my window. I know she was trying to give a message, but did she really need to use those kinds of stereotypes?  I’m strongly for equality, and reading about these beliefs when it comes to homosexuality made me crazy mad. I just can’t believe you still want to show that in books. (Come on, leopard print sheets? Disco ball? Asking in the devil’s version of the vows “Do you promise to fornicate unnaturally with dozens of people in a direct challenge to God’s will, forsaking all that is normal and sealing your fate for a painful and horrific death?” Of course, I can’t forget the fact that they end the scene with one of them dying of AIDS.

Seriously, this book reminded me of what I didn’t like about the Church. 

1 comment:


  1. In that case not surprisingly there are actually a companies this chanel replica handbags struck your chord by using most people Movado plus Omega. On the earth with deluxe different watches, there are actually several areas, just like physical activities different watches, diver's different watches, as well as a lot of sophisticated, apparel different watches. When each one will be long-lasting plus quickly built, your apparel look at are going to be higher in price plus fake omega high quality, built from yellow metal, magic, and various gold and silver, when its cousins be ornamented to learn long-lasting elements. A luxury look at may perhaps be invested in to get multiplicity with explanations, very own total satisfaction, gift idea for your companion, treasured tribute, offer to get someone special and also a strong treasure make time for by using opinions of your growing a long time. A luxury look at does indeed a great deal more than merely convey to time frame, like a luxury rolex replica uk motor vehicle, does indeed above display a cyclist from a single vacation destination to a different one; them suggests to all those all over this this is usually a who principles needlework, splendor, plus level of quality. Concerning horologists, additional complications are usually not a marginally troublesome and also objectionable fake rolex challenges which will the majority of us facial area fairly often : maybe a chiseled package which has an encyclopedic guidebook, or perhaps actual model by using more than enough surroundings so that you can mix them up with sometimes the best mechanically oriented with men and women.


    ReplyDelete