Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Review: Envy


Title: Envy
Author: Gregg Olsen
Series: Empty Coffin #1
Release Date: August 23rd, 2011
Number of Pages: 285
Publisher: Splinter
Source: Bought
Murder is such a dirty word…
New York Times bestselling adult true crime author Gregg Olsen makes his YA debut with EMPTY COFFIN, a gripping new fiction series for teens based on ripped-from-the-headlines stories…with a paranormal touch.
Crime lives--and dies--in the deceptively picture-perfect town of Port Gamble (aka “Empty Coffin”), Washington. Evil lurks and strange things happen--and 15-year-olds Hayley and Taylor Ryan secretly use their wits and their telepathic “twin-sense” to uncover the truth about the town's victims and culprits. 
 
Envy, the series debut, involves the mysterious death of the twins' old friend, Katelyn. Was it murder? Suicide? An accident? Hayley and Taylor are determined to find out--and as they investigate, they stumble upon a dark truth that is far more disturbing than they ever could have imagined. 
 
Based on the shocking true crime about cyber-bullying, Envy will take you to the edge--and push you right over.
I’m kind of on the fence about this book. Yes, I did enjoy it. Yet, it wasn’t what I was expecting. I had read it was inspired by a true story. Mother cyberbullying one of her daughter’s friend after an argument between both teenagers, which resulted in a suicide. That was what I was expecting. Police doing their work, looking for answers. Her family and friends wondering what happened. I wasn’t prepared for the particular talents of both of the twins.

Hayley and Taylor each have a particular talent to know things. It wouldn’t have annoyed me if I had known before that before reading it. It left me slightly skeptical. Other than that, I enjoyed reading the twins point of views, because it gave us to different, yet similar views of the story. I loved how they both were mature. I probably wouldn’t have had the courage of reading it if they had both been whiny.

The story was well paced, and it was incredibly hard for me to put it down. I wanted to know what was going to happen next, even though I thought I knew. Boy, did the ending surprise me! I never thought this was how everything would end! This is the kind of book you don't want to say to much about, because you're scared to spoil something. 

I already am excited for the second Empty Coffin Novel, Betrayal, which is supposed to come out in Fall 2012.

If you like true crime with twist, this book is amazing for that. Just be aware of the psychic twist.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds interesting and the cover is intriguing ! I will add it to my wish ! Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my TBR list. I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really interesting and I love when an ending surprises you. It's always a cool feeling after you're done reading and being shocked. Awesome review!

    Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks creepy. And it sounds like it's going to be good. Thanks for the heads up about this; haven't heard much about it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this one sounds good. I love the cover! I'll have to get a copy of this one. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cover always catches my eye because it's just like A Certain Slant of Light. Sounds like an interesting book. thanks for the review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wishing for a YA Crime/Thriller/Mystery-type book for a while, so I'm very interested in this one. It certainly sounds as if it's worth reading.

    ReplyDelete