Friday, September 09, 2011

Review: Perfect Chemistry

Title: Perfect Chemistry
Author: Simone Elekeles
Series: Perfect Chemistry #1
Release Date: December 23rd, 2008
Number of Pages: 360
Publisher: Walker
Source: Bought
A fresh, urban twist on the classic tale of star-crossed lovers.
When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more.  In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart.
How could I not fall in love with this series? It was simply amazing. First, I have to warn that this book is not for younger audience, as it includes some violence (after all, Alex is in a gang) and some sexual content.

I loved it. I love how we got to see both Brittany and Alex’s points of view through the book, as it really make us understand more about both of them. The dynamic between the characters, and the gang, was incredibly believable. This book reminds the reader not to judge people for the color of their skin, or the part of town they are from. It gives us an inside on two world that seems to be on to opposite, yet may be more similar than we think.

First, Brittany was a great character. She was more than what meet the eye. She may want people to believe she is a perfect girl, with a perfect life, but she struggle to keep up appearance. Her life isn’t easy, she wants more, like we all do. She wants to be able to stay near her sister, but I think most of all, she wishes she could be herself. Brittany really was a character I think most of us could connect with, because she seems real. She was such a complex character, such an interesting narrator. I get why she fell for Alex, because they are more alike than anyone they know could think.

Alex was such a great “hero”. Yes, for me he is a hero. Even if he is a gang member, he was incredible. One of the reasons why, is you see that he is in a gang to protect his family. He wishes for more, but he knows that he can’t have it. Then, he meets Brittany, who shows him that there is more to him. She shows him that he can do more than that.

The writing was exquisite, as it was so beautifully captivating. I loved it, and I would recommend it to everyone. It was captivating. I just couldn’t put it down. I have to read the sequel soon, because I can’t wait to read more from Simone Elkeles.

8 comments:

  1. I'm really not sure how I still havent read this one!! I need to rectify that as soon as possible! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover around, but I haven't paid much attention to it. Your review makes me want to read it. Will need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this book too no matter how cheesy it was. The second and third book though... not so much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Chel! I loved this book even though it was really cheesy at times. Ahh! Great review! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't we all like some cheese once in a while? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review. I love this book, too. SO MUCH. I have the 3rd on my pile...need to FINALLY get around to reading it. :-)
    Happy Friday!
    _yay_ @ BookthatThing
    Oh, & giveaway is going on. PNR ebook...Stop by and enter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series so much! I still need to read the 3rd one though. I love that these books don't pretend to be anything other than what they are--YA romance. I definitely need to read some of Elkeles's other series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was very cheesy, but I loved every moment of it! Haha

    ReplyDelete