Thursday, September 15, 2011

Review: Fury

Title: Fury
Author: Elizabeth Miles
Series: Fury #1
Release Date: August 30th, 2011
Number of Pages: 370
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Bought
Sometimes sorry isn't enough....
It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...
Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.
On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.
In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.
Em and Chase have been chosen.
First of all, how gorgeous is that cover! I absolutely love it. Now, the question is, is the book as good as the cover is beautiful? Yes, it was good. It sets the tone for I series I can wait to keep on reading.

The story is centered on the concept of karma. Both Emily and Chase have done things that did deserve some kind of punishment, but I can’t say that I agree with the kind of punishment they got. Again, it comes to a question of point of view. For Chase, what is the worst kind of punishment he could get? Death, living with his guilt or losing everything he got? It all comes to this. The Fury is there to punish him for what he has done, but how can we be sure they did the right kind of punishment.

Emily did her own kind of wrong, going after her best friend’s boyfriend, but I question again the choice. It is not the punishment I question, it is the victim. Here’s the thing, in this book, we don’t see Zach, her best friend’s boyfriend, getting punish for what he did; yet he was also guilty. That’s one of the things that bugged me. Who did worse? Aren’t they both guilty? I feel like Emily is getting the worst part of with, yet Zach also manipulated her.  I’m not sure about that part, which is one of the reasons I want to read more. I want to see if Zach will also be punished.

The writing was great, that’s for sure. Yet, there are a couple of thing that did bug me in the story, but they didn’t put me off. One of the things is that we get to know about the fury only near the end, even if we see them through the novel. We can guess what they are, but are never said. Still, I enjoyed this novel, and I would recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope Zach will be punished because his behavior was so vile. I'm thinking that maybe the second book will deal more with him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this does stick closely to the concept of the Furies from mythology. They weren't fair; they just went after you if you did something wrong and they didn't look at circumstances. It'll be interesting to see how a modern story deals with this.

    ReplyDelete