Thursday, September 29, 2011

Review: The Sweetest Thing

Title: The Sweetest Thing
Author: Christina Mandelski
Release Date: May 10th, 2011
Series: None
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: Edgemont
Source: NetGalley
In the world of Sheridan Wells, life is perfect when she's decorating a cake. Unfortunately everything else is a complete mess: her mom ran off years ago, her dad is more interested in his restaurant, and the idea of a boyfriend is laughable.
 But Sheridan is convinced finding her mom will solve all her problems - only her dad's about to get a cooking show in New York, which means her dream of a perfect family will be dashed.
Using just the right amount of romance, family drama, and cute boys, The Sweetest Thing will entice fans with its perfect mixture of girl-friendly ingredients.
I didn’t really like this book, mostly because all I felt for the main character was pity. I just couldn’t stand her. I can’t even count how many time I’ve wanted to smacked her behind the head and yell at her to wake up. She was a brat. She was immature. She was almost delusional when it came down to her mother. I wish she could have realized earlier how much her father was doing for her. How everything he did was to protect her and give her a best chance in life.

The love triangle annoyed me, simply because it was more than predictable. Like I didn’t know from the beginning with whom she would end up. Ethan simply was too fake for me to enjoy. Jack, on the other hand, was almost too good for her. Too good for the girl that seemed to be all about negativism and selfishness. She is the main reason I didn’t really enjoy this book, and I’m sad of that. I don’t usually hate character driven books, unless I really can’t stand the main character. It’s simple; it’s all about them and I don’t want to read more about them.

I wish I could have enjoyed it more, because I did enjoy Mandelski writing, just not her character. I’ll definitely check her out more in the future, but this one won’t make it too my favorite, far from it actually.

Please, do check out more review of it before deciding not to read it. Don’t forget I’m only one person. I think Mandelski is a great writer, and I wouldn’t want to skip her simply because I couldn’t stand one character.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't like Sheridan either but I also didn't like either parent. Her father came off poorly through her narration so in the end I didn't really like any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually enjoyed this one. Yes, you knew from the beginning who she would end up with, but the book felt like teenage angst and I liked how Sheridan was trying to figure out what was going on in her life.

    ReplyDelete