Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Looking For Alaska

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Release Date: March 3rd, 2005
Series: None
Number of Pages: 221
Publisher: Speak
Source: Bought
-
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.
Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction.
-

Looking For Alaska is a book I had heard so much about. It also didn’t help that I’ve been following the vlogbrothers for a while on youtube. Yet, I had never read any of his books. I tried to read Looking for Alaska a couple of month ago, but I simply couldn’t get into it. I gave it a second chance last week, and manage to read it.

The thing is that the book is in two parts: Before and After. I had trouble getting through Before, simply because I didn’t see where it was going. Once the incident that separates the before and after happens, I couldn’t put the book down. Then I saw why many seemed to be in love with this book. I fell for it myself. I don’t want to say too much, because I don’t want to give away the incident. The ending was simply perfect for me, leaving me satisfied with what I had learned, what I has read.

The characters were great, yet slightly stereotyped. I liked Miles. There was something sweet and naïve about him that made him lovable, especially when you compare him the Colonel, Alaska and Takumi. At first, I didn’t like Alaska, but the more I got to know her, the more I understood her. There was something fragile about her, even if she doesn’t really want to show it, that I liked. It was fun to read the interaction between them.

The writing was great. I have to say that I will probably go get Papertown from John Green, because I really liked reading his words.

I would give it a four. If I were honest, I would have given the Before a 3 and the After a 5. So don’t give up, because this book gets better.

5 comments:

  1. Actually that is really, really good to know. B/c we started this book and were having a really hard time getting into it. Maybe now we can go into again with the goal of making it to the After part.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely on my list of to-read books. The only John Green I've read is 'Paper Towns' which I really loved. But I've heard that most of his books are relatively the same, which is kind of a bummer. Still, I'm looking forward to picking this one up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love John Green books! Paper Towns is fantastic and so is An Abundance of Katherines (super funny!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/looking-for-alaska-by-john-green.html i love JOHN GREEN :) have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But should you wish to offer for sale fake rolex being old style follow, ensure that typically the earlier it again appearances, the better the charge you can actually call for out of your are very grateful individual. Furnish not to mention Call for: Make an effort being familiar with typically the follow whenever you can. Make an effort being familiar with her label, typically the brand not to mention develop, all four from build, typically the tasks and then the trade problem. Always keep in mind even if you must offer for sale typically the follow being chosen follow and / or being old style follow furthermore there will most likely be a primary determine of this hublot replica uk not to mention call for control. Whenever a paucity from furnish and then the call for might be further the charge will most likely be further given that typically the furnish might be well over typically the call for the charge will most likely be reduced. Price: For the purpose of price typically the chosen follow a particular needs to can a lot of economy cartier replica uk. A particular really need to be experienced. Get rid of a time day-to-day, visit the Follow Buy and / or jewelers what individuals offer for sale looks after not to mention ask them to premium the charge suitable for you. Don't allow it to have it again for the purpose of theirselves on a time of day and next reveal the charge. Ask them to exercise opposite most people you will need to furthermore there. Anyone online can perhaps even methodology the internet for the purpose of being familiar with the charge. You can actually you can ask typically the Follow Buy keep to find tag heuer replica sale because of most people and / or you can actually you can ask your man a brokering service and have your partner's compensation fake rolex watches. Within the next concerning compensation typically the keep attempt to optimize typically the selling price which means you both find a fantastic cost.

    ReplyDelete