Thursday, June 02, 2011

Review: Starcrossed

Title: Starcrossed
Author: Josephine Angelini
Release Date: May 31st, 2011
Series: Starcrossed #1
Number of Pages: 496
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: NetGalley
-
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
-

So, two days ago, I decided to start this really interesting book that had been in my TBR pile for a while. I thought “Why not start it now, it is after all only 11:30pm, and I’m on vacation, I have enough time to start it!” Bad idea… Why? Simply because this book kept me so captivated that I ended up reading until 3am (follow by an hour of  “oh what will happen next? I should read just one more chapter… No I have to sleep now, it’s late… Yet, I’m on vacation…”) I was so addicted! It’s a really good thing that I didn’t start it during my finals, I would have ended up with even less hours of sleep.

The story really kept me on my toes. I HAD to know what was going to happen to Helen, and of course to Lucas. Josephine Angelini created an entertaining story based on Greek Mythology, which made me so excited (I really have to read more about Greek Mythology, I’m not really addicted.) There is just always something going on. When we finally think that everything will be going well from now on, more problems arrive for Helen and Lucas. It keeps you in the story until the ending, which is making me want to find a time travel machine to bring me to May 2012, so I can finally know what will happen to the two lovers. Sigh.

I have to say, Angelini created an amazing team of characters. I really liked Helen. She didn’t end up annoying me, which many female main characters end up doing, and I felt like I could see her being real (if you forget the powers of course...) Lucas made me completely swoon. I adore him. Why do I always fall for fictional characters? Damn you characters, you make real guys seem so normal. Sigh. Of course, Lucas is not the only interesting male character. I must confess Hector has a little something that makes me really like him, and Jason also is nicely interesting, but I think his mind is taken. There is just so much variety in the characters, that I couldn’t imagine not liking one. Of course, some may not be as loveable, but most of the unlovable are those you love to hate.

Okay, here I will address myself directly to Josephine Angelini: “Hi! I must honestly say that I’m quite impressed with you. You’re making mad right now, because I really want to get my hands on the sequel. Yet, I still like you. I really want to read more books form you. You should write more. I think you’re good, but it’s just my humble opinion.”

Okay, so now this book made me slightly addicted, and now I feeling the effect of withdrawal. Don’t worry; my brain should be okay again tomorrow. Some magic bolt hasn’t fried it!

5/5!

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this book so bad! I hope I could also read it soon. Great review and I'm a new follower. :)

    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so good, it's been popping up on my radar like crazy lately! I love reading books that explore the idea of fate or Greek myths so I'm sure I will love this as much as everybody else has!

    Ann @Semisweet

    ReplyDelete