Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: The Secret Circle: The Initiation and The Captive Part I

Title: The Secret Circle: The Initiation and The Captive Part I
Author: L.J.Smith
Release Date: August 1st, 2008 (first published 1992)
Series: Secret Circle #1-2
Number of Pages: 396
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Bought

The circle's power has lured her home
Forced to move from sunny California to gloomy New England, Cassie longs for her old life. Even so, she feels a strange kinship to a terrifying group of teens who seem to rule her school. Initiated into the coven of witches that's controlled New Salem for hundreds of years, she's drawn into the Secret Circle, a thrill that's both intoxicating and deadly. But when she falls for the mysterious and intriguing Adam, Cassie must choose whether to resist temptation or risk dark forces to get what she wants—even if it means that one wrong move could ultimately destroy her.

I saw the trailer for the new series by the CW, and it got me interested in reading this series again.
I simply love most of L.J. Smith’s books. They are simply so good. I love this series. I love the witchy side of it.
I like Cassie. She’s a fun character, simply because she isn’t perfect. Where Diana was too goody two shoes and Faith was simply too rebellious for my taste, Cassie was more balanced. I felt like I could connect more with her than the other characters. Adam was an okay character. I think I preferred Nick because he felt less like god-like character. Adam was presented like the perfect guy (well if you forget the fact that he kissed an other girl than his girlfriend…)
I can’t really comment on the ending, because the copy I have ends in the middle of book two, so there is of course a cliffhanger in that.
Can’t wait to see the series, to finally see what they did change. I think if you liked the Vampire Diaries book series, you’ll probably enjoy this one. Now lets simply hope they don’t mess up too badly with the series. They did a good job with the Vampire Diaries, so maybe they will do a good job with this one too!
Here’s the preview for the series!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED these books in highschool. I reread them not long ago. Great review! I will need to check out the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book and new TV show sound awesome! I can’t wait to read/watch it now.

    ~Sherry

    Sherry Soule Official Website

    Author of the Spellbound Series

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently watching the show but I really want to read it. I just can get my hands on a free copy. Have you read the Hunger Games series. I just did and it only took me ten days. I would have done it faster but I am going to school to.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I've read the Hunger Games and I love this series. I know how hard ti can be to read while at school, with all the homework and exams we have. Christmas Break is coming though, it will give us all a little more time to read =)

    ReplyDelete