Thursday, June 09, 2011

Review: Sisters Red

Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Release Date: June 3rd, 2010
Series: Sisters Red #1
Number of Pages:324
Publisher: Little Brown
Source: Bought
-
The story of Scarlett and Rosie March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) -- who prey on teen girls -- since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive. But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports of countless teen girls brutally murdered in the city. Scarlet and Rosie soon discover the truth: wolves are banding together in search of a Potential Fenris -- a man tainted by the pack but not yet fully changed. Desperate to find the Potential to use him as bait for a massive werewolf extermination, the sisters move to the city with Silas, a young woodsman and long time family friend who is deadly with an axe. But the clues to finding the Potential aren't adding up, and Scarlet is shocked to learn new details of Silas's family history. Meanwhile, Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for.
-

I was kind of excited to read this book, because I absolutely adore Jackson Pearce. I find her incredibly funny, and I love her videos and tweets. Yet, I had a lot of trouble to get into the book. I just didn’t get into the story until the second half of the book.

The story is a twisted retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Except, they are two sisters. And they kill the bad werewolf (or rather Scarlett does). Then, they become hunters. Not what I was expecting. Not bad, just not what I was expecting. There was action, which was fun, and a little romance, which I wasn’t too fond of. The ending was sweet, a nice little happy ending for both sisters. Also, the story was kind of slow, which kind of didn’t help me get into the book.

The characters were just okay. Scarlett is slightly too obsessed about hunting. I know she lost a lot because of the Fenris, but does she really need to give up her entire life because of that? Then Rosie is just too obsessed about what her sister will think. Yes, she saved your life, but you do have to live a little now! It annoyed me that she couldn’t seem to do anything for her; instead everything was for her sister. Finally, Silas just creeps me out a little. At first, he seems sweet and all, but then you start learning a couple of things. Really, after Scarlett, you go for Rosie? Ummm, not sure.

The writing was fun and easy to follow. I enjoy it, and it makes me want to read her first novel, especially since I heard good comments about it.

Yet, this one kind of disappointed me. Maybe I was expecting too much? Still, retelling of Fairy Tales can be tricky. After all, most of us grew up with them. It wasn’t bad; it just wasn’t what I expected.

3 comments:

  1. Awh it's such a shame whem books are disappointing! I'm not a fan of slow stories either. I hope you enjoy her first novel more =]

    Feel free to link your review up to my new review-based blog hop 'Review Appreciation Day' here

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tears*

    I've really been wanting to read this one too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww it sucks when you don't like books. I read this one last month I think and I loved it! :(

    ReplyDelete