Monday, October 24, 2011

Audiobook Review: Leviathan


Title: Leviathan
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Narrator: Alan Cumming
Release Date: September 22nd, 2009
Series: Leviathan
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Length: 8:15:59
Number of Pages: 440
Source: Bought
Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men. 
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered. 
With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.
Last week, I finally gave in and bought an audiobook. My first try wasn’t that successful (I bought Damned by Chuck Palahniuk. A little disappointing.), but I gave audiobooks a second chance, and bought Leviathan. I had heard great things about this series, and I read that the narrator was Alan Cumming, which really excited me about listening to this. I abso-freaking-lutely ended up loving it in the end.

Let’s start with the audio format of this book. The narrator, Alan Cumming, was amazing! He really brought the series to life, giving different voices to every different character, important or not. I could easily recognize who was talking because of that without hearing who said it. He added a layer to the amazing characters Scott Westerfeld had created.

Still, I wasn’t sure at first if I would become an adapt of audiobooks. There’s one simply reason: A book like this would probably have taken me 3-4 hours to read, as I’m a fast reader. Yet, it took me 8 hours and a half. That did annoyed me at first, but when understand that you can do stuff while listening to the book, it ends up being a lot of fun (well, except when I clean my apartment while listening to an audiobook. As good as the audiobook can be, I’ll never enjoy cleaning.) The other thing that I found hard was for my brain to stop thinking. I’m always thinking, so I had the bad habit of letting my mind wander, this was also especially true for this one, as this book is setting a world for the series. This means that there’s a lot of description, which made it easy for my mind to wander….

Now, when it comes to the series, I have to say that I ABSOLUTELY loved it. Wow. It took me sometimes to really get into it, but soon after I started it, I was addicted (proof being I bought both Behemoth and Goliath after I was done with this one. I had to know what would happen next.

Scott Westerfeld created a crazy world, some amazing characters, and a kick-ass story. If you enjoy Steampunk, or if you’re curious about this genre, you have to check it out. It is simply amazing. I adore Alek, even thought sometime he could be a little prince-ish. My favorite really was Deryn. What a great character. I really found her to be courageous. She was a lot of fun to follow.

I will repeat myself: If you haven’t read it, do it. If you are looking for an audiobook, this one is simply amazing and addicting. It has everything an audiobook need to be captivating: A great story, great characters, and, of course, an amazing narrator!

3 comments:

  1. I really want to read this so I'm glad to see you're so enthusiastic about it! I get what you mean about the frustrations of audiobook listening-the time it takes annoys me too, but I usually reserve them for times I can't read (like travelling, I get terrible travel sickness). Great review

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with the whole I can read a book so much quicker but I can do stuff whilst reading/listening to it. The thing with this audiobook is that you don't get the awesomeness that is Keith Thompsons illustrations. But then you get a great narrator....choices, choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foot orthotics sit back and watch fails to use a number of fake panerai, which includes: truth be told there bump, dislocation move machines, running watches as a result of permanent magnetic, accommodate a bit longer waterless sludge, . . .., can lead to an important foot orthotics sit back and watch fails to travel. An automatic foot orthotics breitling replica move certainly ıs dependent upon autopilot dr limb to make mainspring, however, the problem in limited quality causes turning foot orthotics hublot replica sale fails to travel: In general decent Switzerland watch-winding capability is amazingly increased (which includes Rolex), all round daytime be dressed in even a full some days (all round actions, unless you tell a lie 24 hours) an important almost all the time do not discontinue sit back and watch (in the maximum fake breitling watches will be able to operated at a minimum thirty-seven days). Generally if the working out is without a doubt cheap you ought to by hand turning that mainspring potential augment. Is unable to reject that life belonging to the situation in cheap capability turning ones own cartier replica sale move, that is definitely the usual internal move replica sit back and watch move and company in issues.

    ReplyDelete