Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Review: Poison Diaries

Title: Poison Diaries
Author: Maryrose Wood and The Duchess of Northumberland
Release Date: July 20th, 2010
Series: Poison Diaries #1
Number of Pages: 288
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Bought
Jessamine Luxson lives with her father, Thomas, an apothecary, in an isolated cottage near Alnwick Castle. Thomas’s pride and obsession is his locked garden full of dangerous plants, which Jessamine is forbidden to enter.
When a traveler brings an orphan to their cottage, he claims the boy has special gifts that Thomas might value. Jessamine is drawn to the strange but intriguing boy, called Weed. Soon their friendship deepens into love. Finally, Weed shares his secret: He can communicate with plants. For him they have distinct personalities—and some are even murderous. From the locked garden the poisonous plants call to Weed, luring him with promises of deadly power.
When Jessamine falls inexplicably ill, only Weed’s relationship with the Poisons can save her. But Thomas is determined to exploit Weed’s abilities, even if it risks Jessamine’s life—or drives Weed to the brink of madness.…
I’m kind of on the fence with this book. It was enjoyable, but I have to say I didn’t love it. I simply couldn’t love it. There was something stopping me from loving the story and the characters.

There was a lot of interesting information about poisons and plants (I know nothing about those kind of things, so I’m guessing it’s right.)  Still, I felt like it took a big part of the book that was already short. I like the idea of the plants having their voices. It gives the book a poetic side.

Yet, I just didn’t really like the characters. I fell Jessamine was too weak of a character, and Weed slightly freaked me out. There is something really creepy about it. I also felt like Jessamine was supposed to be this so innocent and good girl, a counterpart to her father. Weed seemed simply lost between the two opposites.

I will definitely read the sequel, because I’m curious about what will happen next in the series. I have the eARC for the sequel, so you’ll probably hear about it soon.

Still, what I really want to know is what you thought about it! Any opinion?

1 comment: