Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Review: An Abundance of Katherines

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Release Date: September 21st, 2006
Series: None
Number of Pages: 228
Publisher: Puffin
Source: Bought
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washedup child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.
Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.

If there’s one thing I can say about John Green’s books, it’s that I never regret buying and reading them. I’m not usually a big fan of character driven books, they usually have to be really well written for me to enjoy them. If there’s John Green written on those books, it always seems to work.

One of the things I love about this book is that it made me smile. Worse, it probably the only time I’ve used my math knowledge since dropping out of science almost three years ago (if you forget about addition, subtraction, division and multiplication, of course…)

Other thing it’s probably one of the only books that have more than 80 footnotes and an appendix (read here novel. I know that reference books will have more than that. I’m talking about novel!). As much as a love authors trying to include other languages in their books, I do think they have to be checked by a native speaker. (Read here Mein held (p.181 in paperback, which is supposed to be Mein Held. If I remember correctly, all nouns in German takes a capital letter. I know I’m probably one of the only one it annoys, but IT DOES!)

John Green is definitely an author worth checking. While you’re at it, why don’t you check out his new book, The Fault in Our Stars. Every copy of the first printing will be signed (if you want to hear about it, go check his Youtube account which he shares with his brother, who is as amazing as him.)

3 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read some of his books, and I haven't gotten around to it. I think I need to change that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my all time favorite John Green book. I think it's because of Hassan. He's just awesome. I don't know what it is about John Green and his supporting characters, but they are all so damn good.(I'm a fan of the footnotes too!) Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're right, John Green writes some amazing supporting characters, which is one of the reason I love his book so much! And the footnotes are always fun! I absolutely adore him.

      Delete