Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Sweet Venom


Title: Sweet Venom
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Release Date: September 6th, 2011
Series: Medusa Girls #1
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Source: Bought
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.
Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.
Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.
These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight
Yeah for more Greek mythology! There are so many books coming out this year that include some aspect of Greek mythology, and I have to say that it makes me really happy. I have to say that there wasn’t that much of a big plot in this book, but it sets the tone for what’s to come. We get to meet the three main characters, learn about their past, and see them learn about their real identity.

That’s the thing; the three sisters, Grace, Gretchen and Greer don’t know each other. They don’t all know about what they are really capable of. That’s why the first book has to be all about them learning about themselves. That made it a little slow at first, but by the end of the book, I was really curious about what will happen in the next books.

The sisters are so different. They all have their good side, and their bad one (some have more bad sides than others. I have to say that my favorite was Grace. I found Gretchen to be too always mad for no reasons, and Greer to simply be a spoiled b*tch. I wasn’t sure if I would like the fact that there were so many points of view. The three sisters were so different that it did really have something really great to the story.

Honestly, I’m really excited for the sequel, Sweet Shadows. I can’t wait to read it. I do hope to get more from the lovely boys that were introduce in the first book. They seem like they could make some really nice love interest for the girls (after all, I do like happy endings!)

4 comments:

  1. Oh this one is in my TRB pile ! I just love Greek mythology, so I'm curious about this one. I'm glad you like it ! I'll try to read it soon, Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading Greek mythology in YA fiction, so I kind of want to read this one. But, I didn't really care for Oh. My. Gods. too much. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it. So, I can't decide. . . . But your review is pushing me toward the "read it" option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy if I'm pudhing you toward the "read it" option. I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Previously, annihilation added abstruse than rolex replica a Timex or an Accurist was accepted alone by cognoscenti. Watches were far rolex replica too baby to be in-your-face indicators of austere abundance – not like the Ferrari 212 Barchetta or Maserati 300S that a Porfirio Rubirosa or a Roberto Rossellini ability accept anchored in rolex replica foreground of Monaco's Hotel de Paris.

    ReplyDelete