Thursday, October 06, 2011

Review: Shimmer

Title: Shimmer
Author: Alyson Noël
Release Date: March 15th, 2011
Series: Riley Bloom #2
Number of Pages: 187
Publisher: Square Fish
Source: Bought
Having solved the matter of the Radiant Boy, Riley, Buttercup, and Bodhi are enjoying a well-deserved vacation. When Riley comes across a vicious black dog, against Bodhi’s advice, she decides to cross him over. While following the dog, she runs into a young ghost named Rebecca. Despite Rebecca’s sweet appearance, Riley soon learns she’s not at all what she seems. As the daughter of a former plantation owner, she is furious about being murdered during a slave revolt in 1733. Mired in her own anger, Rebecca is lashing out by keeping the ghosts who died along with her trapped in their worst memories. Can Riley help Rebecca forgive and forget without losing herself to her own nightmarish memories?
Having won Dreamland, I kind of had to read Shimmer to know what was happening in the series. Thought I was slightly disappointed by Radiance, I found this one to be better than the first. Yes, certain of the flaws found in the first book is still there.

This is really a cute little childish story. The plot is basic, but enjoyable. If you’re looking for a cute little non-complicated story, this one works well. This one touches a more serious matter, the slave trade, but really superficially. I fell like it’s for a younger audience than YA because of Riley, but then she talks about Slave trade, which isn’t for a too young audience.

Riley isn’t as annoying in this one. She’s maturing a little, but is still a little immature (something I wish will keep on changing. She has to mature at some point, even if she’ll never turn 13.)

I still enjoy reading Alyson Noël’s novel. I just wish she would write a new series with a main character slightly older, in the same age range of Ever instead of her sister. I just felt it was too childish for me.

2 comments:

  1. I've just read her other series about Ever but not this one, I'm glad it was better than the first one. thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW following yeah... your blog is awesome and informative hope you could visit mine too. I'm from the Philippines.

    have a nice day.. mr837.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete