Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: Dearly, Departed


Title: Dearly, Departed
Author: Lia Habel
Release Date: October 18th, 2011
Series: Dearly #1
Number of Pages: 480
Publisher: Ballantine Books (Del Rey)
Source: NetGalley + Bought copy
Love can never die.
Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?
The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country’s political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible—until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses.
But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting “The Laz,” a fatal virus that raises the dead—and hell along with them. Hardly ideal circumstances. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble . . . and dead. But as is the case with the rest of his special undead unit, luck and modern science have enabled Bram to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.
In Dearly, Departed, romance meets walking-dead thriller, spawning a madly imaginative novel of rip-roaring adventure, spine-tingling suspense, and macabre comedy that forever redefines the concept of undying love.

I have to start by saying that I got this book on NetGalley about two or three weeks ago, but I never was able to get into it, for whatever reason there was (which I think is related to the ebook format. I don’t know why, it doesn’t’ always work out for me.) If you follow me on Goodreads, you probably saw that I was “reading” it for a while.

I ended buying a copy on Amazon last week, which resulted in me receiving my copy only this week. I had to buy my copy, because it looked so good. Love mixed with Zombies? How can someone succeed in making Zombies loveable? How can you fall for a flesh-eating monster? Well, Lia Habel took the challenge of making her readers like zombies, and she succeeded! I never thought I could like a zombie (as in, as a person rather than as a race...)! It’s not even just one zombie that is loveable; it’s most of them.

Tom was hilarious; Chas made me smile and wish that if zombies ever took control of the world, I could meet one like her. Bram, of course, makes every gentleman look boring next to him. What an amazing man. You can easily forget that he is dead, and that he could eat you. I love the way he acted with Nora, and I love the relationship between both of them. Can I say how I loved the way they both fell for each other. That’s romance. It wasn’t love at first sight (which would have been slightly unbelievable…); it was relationship that grew as they learn about one and another, and as they learn to trust the other.

The story Lia Habel created was simply beautifully addicting. The world she created was simply amazing; a mix of Victorian mentality mixed with new technology… Yeah for that! I thought the book was really well written. The biggest proof is that this book has multiple points of view (something that usually annoys me) and I absolutely loved that! I thought it was well done; each point of view really added something to the story.

Now, It’s been a while since I’ve gushed about a cover in a review, but can I say how gorgeous this cover is? I absolutely love it. I can’t wait to see the sequel, and of course, to read it!

Honestly, this was a breathtaking novel. Lia Habel has succeeded in making us fall for the undead, a near impossible task, without even questioning our sanity.

5 comments:

  1. I"m reading this one right now, but I"m having a hard time getting into it too. I don't really know why, it just doesn't hold my attention I guess. I'm glad it's a good one though, I'll have to try harder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is close to the top of my TBR pile. I may have to move it up farther after your review. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many books on my actual bookshelf to read, and this one isn't there. I think I am going to have to order it. Every review I read says its amazing. I really like what you had to say about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consumed humid ones own bench. Lady shape to start with visual aspect belonging to the chanel replica should really be with care experienced, comprising the visual aspect in sleek. Look into the option the feminine shape is okay mincing, sanding is amazingly individual within the running watches, nevertheless operation is without a doubt remote that bench at their side. Start looking fonts, font maximum facts chanel replica, it would appear that zero trust away from the bench. Start looking include, a good number of do not result in that bench on do the job and even get the job done complicated, that is definitely looked at via the chanel replica away from the bench. A number of includes can be away from the bench room decorations (celestial body overhead point, everlasting calendar, tourbillon, . . .. )#), the reality is there's very little this type of do the job. Start looking tip, honest tip belonging to the louis vuitton replica uk, density, the form and even components and even know the difference reproductions. Just like, that more mature sit back and watch frequently employed "blue iron hands and fingers, inch replica handbags uk tone tip bench is without a doubt rife with private red, that advanced operation cooked red airbrush away from the bench is without a doubt together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Een van de leuke features van deze replica horloges nederland Submariner Rolex is dat het gloeit in het donker. Dus is perfect bruikbaar bij afwezigheid van licht. De datum venster is heel prominent. Het kan worden gevonden waar de 3-uur merk zou zijn geweest en het heeft een vergrootglas sectie te zorgen dat u duidelijk te zien. De kroon is zeer gepolijst goud en het is zeer passend dat de kroon van deze replica horloges rolex is gegraveerd met de gouden kroon van de Rolex logo. Deze replica Submariner video review toont alle hoogtepunten van dit horloge en haar schoonheid echt schijnt.

    ReplyDelete