Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Birthmarked


Title: Birthmarked
Author: Caragh M. O’Brien
Release Date: March 30th, 2010
Series: Birthmarked #1
Number of Pages: 362
Publisher: Roaring Book Press
Source: Bought
IN THE ENCLAVE, YOUR SCARS SET YOU APART, and the newly born will change the future.
Sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone and her mother faithfully deliver their quota of three infants every month. But when Gaia’s mother is brutally taken away by the very people she serves, Gaia must question whether the Enclave deserves such loyalty. A stunning adventure brought to life by a memorable heroine, this dystopian debut will have readers racing all the way to the dramatic finish.
This is one of these books that I found hard to review. The thing is, I kind of liked it. Still, I found myself lost for words when it comes to really saying what I did enjoy, and what I didn’t.

First, I have to say that I didn’t really get into the novel right away. It took me a while to really get interested in the story. It was simply the pace that was too slow for me to really get engrossed into the story. I felt myself wanting to be excited about it, yet I couldn’t really get into it.

One thing I know for sure is that the world was interesting. I like the idea; I like the storyline, yet I felt like there was something missing. At the end, I didn’t feel satisfied. There was something missing for me to really find this book complete. It isn’t related to the fact there’s a sequel, because I don’t feel what is missing comes from the ending, mostly from the story in general.

It is a well-done dystopian world. I think what I found missing comes from the plot. I feel like there could have been a little something more to really get me into the story. I will definitely give the sequel a shot especially since I got it on NetGalley.

Have any of you read it? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment