Monday, February 14, 2011

Review 16: Glass Houses



Title: Glass Houses
Author: Rachel Caine
Number of Pages: 248
Publisher: New American Library

-
From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
(from goodreads.com)
-
This was one of the best vampire novels I’ve read in a while. No impossible love between a vampire and a fragile human, no. The plot is excellent. The story is original and well written. It is easier to relate to the story, because I honestly think that the story could be plausible if we ended up in a city where vampire were really existing.

And what can I say about the characters?

I absolutely love the main character, Claire. The sixteen-years-old girl is strong and weak at the same time. She is the perfect main character, someone you can really relate to. Her reactions don’t seem exaggerate, and she really acts like a normal person would in her situation. Eve, Shane and Michael are the kind of friends you would like to have. You almost wish you could have the kind of friendship those three shares.

The story is easy to follow, and I enjoyed Caine’s style. She makes you want to know what will happen to the characters. The world she created is well described, and it doesn’t make you fell lost. The only thing that I wanted to kill her for is the ending. Come on! That was one mean cliffhanger! I can’t wait to read the second one, because Caine left me wanting for more.

Worth a good 9/10 for some good characters and a well written plot.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the books in this series, but I've heard good things. Honestly, I think that I would be more interested to actually pick up the first book if I wasn't so completely over the entire Vampire craze.
    Who knows, maybe once the supernatural focus has shifted completely off of it for a while, I'll grab this and read it.
    Great review and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete