Friday, February 04, 2011

Review: XVI by Julia Karr

XVI by Julia Karr
XVI #1
Release Date: January 6th, 2011
Number of pages: 325
Publisher: Speak
Source: Bought
In the year 2150, being a girl isn’t necessarily a good thing, especially when your sixteenth (read sex-teenth) birthday is fast approaching. That in itself would be enough to make anyone more than a little nuts, what with the tattoo and all – but Nina Oberon’s life has taken a definite turn for the worse. Her mother is brutally stabbed and left for dead. Before dying, she entrusts a secret book to Nina, telling her to deliver it to Nina's father. But, first Nina has to find him; since for fifteen years he's been officially dead. Complications arise when she rescues Sal, a mysterious, and ultra hot guy. He seems to like Nina, but also seems to know more about her father than he’s letting on. Then there’s that murderous ex-government agent who’s stalking her, and just happens to be her little sister’s dad

I didn’t really know what to expect of this book. I had never heard from it. What a great read, I must say. It is such a captivating book. Set in a dystopia, the story revolves around a fifteen years old girl Nina. For once, I feel like I can identify in a way with the main character. I start reading it yesterday, and I honestly couldn’t put it down. I was completely captivated by it. It is so well written; the characters are amazing, and the plot excellent. You want to know what will happen to Nina. You want to know who is really Sal. You hope Sandy will someday stop being such a naïve girl.

I saw in this book a critic of the world, a warning of where we could be going. It is a world where people don’t think. They do what the government tells them to do. They think what the medias tell them to think. They don’t really question anything. Will the world end up like this?

I hope this book can make teenagers start questioning what they are told. There is too many that don’t seem to always think for themselves.

This book is my favorite for 2011 so far. I would recommend it to anyone whose looking for a good read. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm nearly done with this book. I, too, am reading it for the DAC. I've enjoyed it a lot. I'm disheartened to hear though it ends with a cliffhanger. I really want to know how everything is going to turn our for Nina. Did you have any trouble with the futuristic language. I struggled with being able to picture the technology in my head. Did you ever figure out what PAV stood for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure what PAV stood for, to be honest. The rest of the futuristic language wasn't that bad once I got used to it. With the context, you end up guessing what the words mean. About the cliffhanger, I heard that the author is working on a sequel. (I really she is!) At least, we're gonna know what will happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up thinking that PAV was Personal Audio Visual device. I finished the book and enjoyed it a bunch. I'm glad there will be a sequel because I think the story and the futuristic world screams for further development.

    I also have a Readers Circle Discussion on my blog on-going with some follow up questions to answer about the book. (Spoilers included) Here's the link if you are interested:

    http://thecallawayfam.blogspot.com/search/label/Reader%27s%20Circle

    ReplyDelete