Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review 25: If I Stay



Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Number of Pages: 234
Publisher: Speak
-
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.
-

I picked this book on an impulse. I saw it on the shelf, and I just said to myself “Why not?” The cover made me wonder, what it was about. When I read the summary, I had to read it. I read it for the first time last summer. I was at my father’s house, and I spent my day reading it. I couldn’t put it down.

The story was more than captivating to me. I felt as if I knew her. I felt like her pain was mine, and I started thinking about what I would do in her place. The ending made me almost cried. I wasn’t sure at that time If Forman would write a sequel, but I was hoping.

Mia made me feel so vulnerable. You read her story, as she lives it. In the end, you ask yourself what would have been your choice. I think her character was so well written. I think you can’t help but connect with her. The supporting characters were also really well written.

I love the way Gayle Forman writes. I have nothing to say. I found this book so hard to review; because I think what matters here is the emotions that Forman shares through her words. And honestly, she does a beautiful job for that.

I love this book. 9.5/10.

1 comment:

  1. I just picked this up the other day. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete