Sunday, February 20, 2011

Review 22: The Water Wars



Title: The Water Wars
Author: Cameron Stracher
Number of Pages: 240
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Buy Here
-
Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil-and worth killing for
Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget. 

_

The Water Wars was a good book, entertaining and interesting. It makes you think about what the world could become, as we waste way too much water now. I really like the cover. I think it fits the story really well.

The plot is good. Stracher makes you wonder what will happen next to Vera and will. The rhythm of the story is perfect, not to slow, nor to fast like some of the books I’ve read not long ago. The ending is okay, but makes me wonder if there will be a sequel. I hope so, because I think there are many questions that haven’t been answered in the end.

The characters area realistic to me, and I find myself able to identify myself with Vera. She is what I would expect of a girl her age in her situation. She is strong, but still has her weakness. She is such a loyal character to those she considers her friends. Will is the perfect big brother for her, as he is always there with her, supporting her with his own strength.

I enjoyed Stracher style, and I find myself hoping for more. I don’t think it will be the best book of 2011, but I think that people will find it enjoyable. I also hope that it will make people wonder about what the future may be for us.

I would give it a 7.5/10

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about reading this one for a while now. It has such a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I love the cover. It's really worth reading, especially if you like dystopian novels.

    ReplyDelete