Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review 24: Deadly little secret


Title: Deadly Little Secret
Author: Laurie Faria Stolarz
Number of Pages: 252
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
-
Some secrets shouldn't be kept...
Up until three months ago, everything in sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at the art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes anything but ordinary.
Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe the rumors, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. She's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help--but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something... but he's not the only one with a secret.
From the best-selling author of Blue is for Nightmares comes a story of paranormal romance that's sure to be a thrilling and chilling teen favorite.
-
Deadly Little Secret has a beautiful cover. I love the way the book looks. It’s one of the reasons I first picked it up.

The plot didn’t really captivate me that much. The story is really slow. I wish the action could have started earlier. I felt like nothing was happening during the first half of the book. Then, everything felt rushed, and the ending didn’t satisfy me. It just screams “sequel!”, which I don’t like.

The style of the author is good. I like how she writes and describes what is going on. I like Camilia and Ben, but the other supporting characters annoyed me. I felt like they were a little too stereotypical for my taste.

Overall, it was an okay book, entertaining and nicely written. Yet, it is not the most captivating book I’ve read, which is why I give it a 6/10.

Still, I’ll probably read the sequel.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, we totally agree on book tastes. Like, it's almost creepy! Well, let's see: We agree on Bitten, Wake and now Deadly Little Secret!
    Have you read the sequel yet? I haven't... I was wondering if it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet. I will probably try to read it this Summer.. I do hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete