Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: 13 to life



Title: 13 To Life
Author: Shannon Delany
Number of Pages: 308
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
-
Everything about Jessie Gillmansen’s life changed when her mother died. Now even her hometown of Junction is changing.  Mysterious dark things are happening. All Jessie wants is to avoid more change. But showing a hot new guy around Junction High, she’s about to discover a whole new type of change. Pietr Rusakova is more than good looks and a fascinating accent—he’s a guy with a dangerous secret. And his very existence is sure to bring big trouble to Jessie’s small town.  It seems change is the one thing Jessie can’t avoid…
-

I was at Indigo last week, when I saw this book. I had read a couple reviews, and the books seemed good. Bonus, I really liked the cover. It looks mysterious and I just couldn’t resist buying it.

First, I wasn’t sure about a werewolf story. It is not that I don’t like werewolves, it just that I don’t think they are always that well written, especially for a YA. This one really got me. I really liked it. The story really captivated me, which was a bad thing (I should never read when I have essays to write for the next day, because I know I’ll finish the book before doing my work. Bad Idea.) The ending is not my favorite part of the books, because there is a sequel, and it shows. I have a little problem with that, especially if I have to wait months to read it.

The characters were good. Jessica annoys me by moments, which is normal (characters usually always end up annoying me…) She’s just too selfless sometimes. Live for yourself a little, girl! Pietr is the classic “I’m a monster, I’m bad for you…” Still, the relationship between those two is really good. I just wish Jessica wouldn’t make it as complicated. *Sigh*.

Shannon Delany’s writing is good. It doesn’t take anything away from the books, which makes it fun to read. The Russian kind of annoyed me, but it is probably only because it wasn’t written in Cyrillic, and that it really mixed me. (I study languages, including Russian, so I can be picky with them.)

Overall, I really liked this book. I already bought the sequel (already reading it) I can’t wait for the third book coming out in August (YEAH!) 8/10!

7 comments:

  1. I've heard that this is a pretty decent book, though I'm not sure if it's for me. I'm glad you liked it enough to buy the sequel! I also hate it when there's such a cliffhanger. I don't mind a little mystery left in a book so that you want to pick up the next one, but I do hate when you're left completely hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. If you have time could you please look at my book blog: http://onceuponabook-rachel.blogspot.com/ and maybe follow it? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ashley. It's not that big of a cliffhanger in this book, it is simply that the last sentence makes it clear that she knew there will be a sequel. That's enough for me to turn crazy, dying to get my hands on the next book. That's what is annoying to me. It just can't get out of my head... *sigh* Maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen mixed reviews for this one and although you liked it, I'm more partial to books where the characters seem real. Jessica would just annoy me as the MC and that would probably make the book less enjoyable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @A Canadian Girl: I know what you mean. Yes she can be annoying, but the best thing about the characters was really the relationship between Pietr and Jessica. But, hey, there is so many books waiting to be read, you'll probably find one with more real characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about captivating books being a bad thing. It's so hard to put down good books and do the things you need to do. This sounds like a good book even if it's not perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm reading this right now. I have about 50 pages left to read. glad to finally see a review for it, haha. I will have a review for this book within the next day or so :D

    ReplyDelete