Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Title: The Adoration of Jenna Fox
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Number of Pages: 265
Publisher: Square Fish
-
Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn't remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?
This fascinating novel represents a stunning new direction for acclaimed author Mary Pearson. Set in a near future America, it takes readers on an unforgettable journey through questions of bio-medical ethics and the nature of humanity. Mary Pearson's vividly drawn characters and masterful writing soar to a new level of sophistication.
-
First of all, I must start by saying that I absolutely love the cover of this book. Plus, it works really well with the story. But, the cover is not the reason why I picked this book. I bought it because I had heard so many great comments about it. Maybe this is why I was a little disappointed.

First of all, the plot is excellent. I love the story, and its message. You really wonder what is going on, and why is Jenna the way she is. This wasn’t the problem for me. This is probably the best part of the book. The ending was really good. I think it is a perfect ending for the story.

The characters weren’t that great. Except for Jenna, I thought the characters weren’t developed enough for me. Okay, maybe they didn’t all need to be developed a lot, but I felt like at some point Pearson could have giving us more about some characters, like Dane. I was waiting for something from him, which never really came.

Pearson’s style was okay for me. It didn’t make the book, but it wasn’t a deal breaker. Still, I felt that there was something off about the book, something that stopped me from really getting in the book. Unfortunately, it is one of those things that you can’t really explain, even to yourself.

Overall, the book is worth reading. I would give it an 8/10, because I think the plot was excellent.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for honest review. Its been a while since I've read but I remember really enjoying because of the neat concept.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete