Monday, March 14, 2011

Review: Num8ers by Rachel Ward



Title: Num8er
Author: Rachel Ward
Release Date: February 1, 2010
Series: Num8er #1
Number of Pages: 325
Publisher: Chicken Mouse
Source: Bought
-
Whenever Jem meets someone new, no matter who, as soon as she looks into their eyes, a number pops into her head. That number is a date: the date they will die.

Burdened with such an awful awareness, Jem avoids relationships. Until she meets Spider, another outsider, and takes a chance. But while they’re waiting to ride the Eye Ferris
wheel, Jem notices that all the other tourists in line flash the same number. Today’s number. Today’s date. Terrorists are going to attack London. Jem’s world is about to explode!

-
The cover of Num8ers made me incredibly curious. I had to see what this book was about. When I read the back, I thought the story looked extremely good. I had to read it. Yet, I was disappointed.

The strange thing with this book is that I do believe the plot is really good and original. I just couldn’t get into it. It took me days to get through it (when usually I read books in a day or two) It just didn’t get me. The ending was okay; it works well with the story. I love the fact that it left a door for a sequel, without killing me by ending to soon.

The characters were really good. I think there is a growth we can see in them that is interesting to follow. I really like Nan; she was my favorite character strangely, as she wasn’t there that much. Jem annoyed me by moment, same thing with Spider.

The writing was good. The only thing that annoyed me was in the dialogs, because I have a slight problem with reading those really familiar dialogs. Here it made perrfect sense, but it just makes me cringe (like it sometime does in real life.)

Overall, I think it is a great book. I just couldn’t get into it, and I don’t know why. I’ll give the sequel The Chaos a shot, because I think this book is great enough. I hope I can get a little more into this series.

6/10

If you’ve read this book, I would really like to know if I’m the only one who couldn’t get into it….

2 comments:

  1. This looks really interesting, too bad it was a bit disappointing

    ReplyDelete
  2. i got into it but really late. like when her and spider were running away. then her son omg such a twister to the story

    ReplyDelete