Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Wither

Title: Wither
Author: Lauren DeStefano
Release Date: March 22nd  2011
Series: Chemical Garden #1
Number of Pages: 358
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: Bought
-
What if you knew exactly when you would die?
Thanks to modern science, every human being has become a ticking genetic time bomb—males only live to age twenty-five, and females only live to age twenty. In this bleak landscape, young girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages to keep the population from dying out.
When sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery is taken by the Gatherers to become a bride, she enters a world of wealth and privilege. Despite her husband Linden's genuine love for her, and a tenuous trust among her sister wives, Rhine has one purpose: to escape—to find her twin brother and go home.
But Rhine has more to contend with than losing her freedom. Linden's eccentric father is bent on finding an antidote to the genetic virus that is getting closer to taking his son, even if it means collecting corpses in order to test his experiments. With the help of Gabriel, a servant Rhine is growing dangerously attracted to, Rhine attempts to break free, in the limited time she has left.
-

I was so excited about this book. I was expecting so much that I was really scared about being disappointed. Was I? Well… Definitely NOT! I absolutely adore this book, and I’m already dying for the sequel.

First of all, I must say that I had one thing going on my mind when I started this book and it was literally: what the heck is going on! A world where women die at 20 and men at 25? That would mean that I have not even two years left! That’s depressing. Yet the story is so captivating that you end up unable to put it down. There is just always something going one! The ending made me so sad, and yet happy. I was happy for one character, and I was devastated for the other. I was just into the story I guess.

The characters were amazing. I really like Rhine. She is so strong and so nice. I don’t think I would have had her strength in this situation. Cecily was such a brat, yet I still liked her in a way. Jenna was a bitchy, but fun character. Gabriel wasn’t my favorite, but I still liked him. My favorite was Linden. There is just something so sweet and so sad about him. He is too naïve for is own good. He is too innocent, yet is father is so evil in a way. I would have fallen for Linden if I were Rhine, even if I was kidnapped to be a wife. He is just too sweet. Well, that’s my opinion.

DeStefano is probably my favorite debut author this year. I love this book, and I am now dying for a sequel. I love it.

This book is worth a well-deserved 10/10. If you haven’t picked this book yet, go get it now. It is extremely good! 

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm looking forward to reading this book :)
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can only agree with Donna - looking forward to reading Wither!

    P.S.: Like your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started this one and so far I really love the mood and atmosphere created for the book. And of course, the cover is amazing! Great review. :)

    -Sandra from http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH I can't wait to read this one! I've got a couple of books ahead of it, but it's burning a whole in my stack!

    Here's my Monday reading post:
    http://www.violethourbr.com/2011/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book definitely had something . I thought the world building was done really well . Can't wait to read the next one in the series .. Glad u liked it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If this book was for real I'd be dead 6 years ago - such a depressing thought :( I am really excited to see how Linden develops because I initially hated him but then started to warm up to him towards the end. Loved your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I loved Linden. I didn't want to, lol, but I couldn't help it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep hearing such great things about this book. It's definitely moved up on my "to-read" list. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bvlgari dials are aswell actual different as they are coated with characteristic layers of colors to attain arduous punch colors. It actually is actually arduous to breitling replica repliquete, and appropriately it really is a decidedly able way to atom the scams.Bvlgari Montres – Good Absorption to Detail Bvlgari’s Hublot Réplique absorption to detail could be a lot of adorable displayed by the use of louis vuitton replica chainfreinage in the accomplishment process. Only a few able Montremakers are accessible to backpack out it back it actually is abnormally complicated. It calls for ideal rounding the edges in the a lot of basal locations with the motion. The infusion of hublot replica chainfreinage is a active affidavit of Bvlgari’s following of excellence.By 1892,Leon Breitling’s aggregation had developed to this array of an admeasurement that he had to backpack from his aboriginal rural breadth in the Canton of Jura, to La Chaux-de-Fonds. La Chaux-de-fonds was, at the time, anticipation to be the actually centermost of appearance bearing in Switzerland.By 1958 Heuer created the 8 day clock, the twelve hour stop Montre, the break up additional timer, and aswell the sixty moment stopMontre; these were all discontinued aural the 1980’s. By the 1960’s Heuer starting apperception on creatingn Montres and chronographs for that antagonism set, the chase auto drivers. By 1962 he had created the actual aboriginal bandy Montre to accomplish it into space; it had been beat by an replica watches
    astronaut into area. It actually was utilised as accepting a advancement timer for that shuttle.By 1969 the antecedent automatic alarm was designed, the Autavia, Carrera additional the Monaco. By 1975 Huere had produced a chronosplit cyberbanking alarm with Led and LCD show. The alarm was run through the Lemania 5100 movement. By the time 1985 formed about the action accustomed into getting, the Techniques d’avant Garde. A lot of of the artist Montres had been advised for sports activities.

    ReplyDelete