Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Forgive My Fins

Title: Forgive My Fins
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Release Date: May 19th, 2010
Series: Fins #1
Number of Pages: 293
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Bought
-
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.
Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.
When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned
-

So I just bought this book from Amazon, and I read it yesterday afternoon. It took me a couple of hour to read it. It was a really short novel. I bought this book because I heard some good comments about it online. I decided to give it a shot.

It took me some time to get into the story. I don’t know why, but I thought the beginning seemed childish to me. Still, the second half really got me. It was really good, and I couldn’t put it down. It just was a really cute and entertaining series. It felt like a guilty pleasure almost, as it is not what I usually read. It was the first time I read about Mermaids. It was a good beginning for a series. The only thing that really annoyed me was the epilogue. It was unnecessary. It was only about opening a door to a sequel, which I didn’t like. The real ending is good. It should have ended there.

The characters were okay. Lily annoyed me by moment, but I totally adore Quince. He is just so much fun! I think he is sweet, even if he is sometime a jerk. Other than that, none of the characters really made a big impression on me. They were just there to me.

The writing was okay. It kept me entertaining, and that’s the point, isn’t?

I would compare this series to House of Night. The story isn’t similar, but it gives me the same feeling of guilty pleasure.

I would give it a 6/10. It was interesting, but I wouldn’t put it at the top of my list. I’m still curious for the sequel.

2 comments: