Sunday, March 27, 2011

Review: The Dead-Tossed Waves

Title: The Dead-Tossed Waves
Author: Carrie Ryan
Release Date: March 9th, 2010
Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth #2
Number of Pages: 404
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Bought

-
Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.
-

I had really enjoyed The Forest of Hands of Teeth, so I had to read this book. Plus, the third book of this series came out last Tuesday. It was the perfect timing for me to finally read it. (This book has been in my TBR pile for three weeks.)

First of all, as many of you may know, this is not a direct sequel. It’s the story of Gabry, Mary’s daughter (who is the narrator of The Forest of Hands and Teeth). My first question when I learned that was: OMG WHO’S THE FATHER. Well, I won’t tell you, you’ll have to find out for yourself!

The story is just as breath taking as the first one. There is everything you need to make a good book: Love, drama, zombies (or Mudo, as they are called in this book.)… Ryan simply knows how to keep her reading addicted to her characters. There is always something going one, making you hoping, dreaming and wondering. She keeps you captivated until the last line. The ending broke my heart, as her characters still aren’t able to find the peace they deserve. After all they have been through, they do deserve a little peace with their loved one (Hopefully, they will get it in the last book!)

I really liked the characters, but less that I did with Mary, Harry and company. I miss Mary as a main character. She was such a strong and impulsive character, where Gabry seems sometimes too scared. Yet, you can see that Gabry grows a lot in this book. At first, she just seems unable to really make up her mind, unless someone gives her a little push in one direction (not always the right one). There were two characters that slightly annoyed me, yet I can’t really say why. Cira and Catcher just weren’t my favorite. Well, I probably didn’t like Catcher that much simply because I totally adore Elias. Elias is just the strongest character of this book. I adore him, and I do hope we see him again in The Dark and Hollow Places.

Ryan makes me want to run to the bookstore to buy The Dark and Hollow places. She simply knows how to create the most really story you can possibly writes with Zombies (I do think that if it were to happens, the world would probably end up that way, but that’s my personally opinion.)

I really enjoy this book. Yet, I still believe the first one was really better, so I would give this one a well-deserved 9/10!

Here is the Book Trailer! Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I am so ready for this book, I just don't have the time for it!

    P.S. Thanks for commenting on my review of The Water Wars and also about my rating system....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I will ever read this one. I had zombie nightmares for weeks after the first one. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still have to get the nerve to read this one and Dark and Hollow Places. I was an emotional wreck after FOTHAT.

    ReplyDelete