Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Review : Unearthly



Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Number of Pages: 435
Publisher:Harper Teen
Buy Here 
Debut Author Challenge
-
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
-
Unearthly was such a good book. I had heard so many good comments about this book; I just couldn’t wait to read it. First of all, how pretty is the cover. It is such a beautiful book, and in this case, you can judge this book by its cover.

The plot was excellent. I just couldn’t put it down. I started reading it a 9:30, before going to bed, and I couldn’t stop reading until I was done with it (meaning 1:30. Which is not good when you have to get up a 6 am for your gym class). I love how Clara already knew about being an angel-blood, because I didn’t feel like going through the rollercoaster of emotions she would have gone through he we had to follow her through that. (And don’t think it would have been as good as this book was). The ending was good, but left me craving for more (and I really really hope there will be a sequel. Please please pretty please?)

I ended up really liking the characters. I liked that Clara didn’t seem to know everything. That would have taken so much away form the beauty of her character. The characters work well with the story. I just couldn’t keep myself from liking Clara (and Christian….) or from completely hating Kay (but loving that).

Hand’s style was captivating. I couldn’t put it down. I just can’t wait to read more stuff from her. One amazing debut.

Worth a good 10/10, and if you haven’t read it, you should really do pick it up!

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I am certainly wanting to read this now. I am a new follower too - loving the blog! :o)

    Rachel xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your review! I just finished this one, and agree that Clara was an awesome character! Really liked her friends too, and what's up with her brother? Fingers crossed that there'll be a sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this was one of my favorites this year. I read it for Story Siren's DAC challenge too.

    Good news. There is definitely going to be more books. This one is a Trilogy. Next book out has a preliminary title of Hallowed and will be released January or 2012. The final book hasn't been named yet and its release date is January 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmigosh, you've read so many books since I've visted your blog! I'm going on a review browse: all of them look amazing!
    Brilliant review: I sooo want to read this one now!
    And thank you for visiting my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the middle novel we do not see a lot of movement but we learn more about angels, black wings and Clara’s lineage. Clara struggles with a new vision and what it might mean. She realizes that someone close to her is going to die and with Christian's help she slowly puts the pieces together.

    ReplyDelete