Thursday, March 10, 2011

Review: Delirium



Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Number of Pages: 441
Publisher: Harper Teen
-
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
-

Last Friday, I forgot to bring a second book with me at school. (I always bring the one I’m reading, plus a second one in case I finish the first.) I ended up finishing my first book really fast, and I had a really long break, so I ended up going to Indigo to get a new book. I finally bought Delirium, because of the 20% promotion. I had heard so much about it, and the cover is just so gorgeous. I couldn’t resist any longer.

First, I loved the story. If I could write a review as simple as I loved it, and be done with, I would, because I did absolutely loved it. It is just so well created, and I found it original. What kind of world would it be without love? It is hard to imagine that kind of world, yet Oliver did it. I won’t say to much, because I feel that if I start, I won’t be able to stop myself to reveal spoilers, which I don’t want to do. All I can say is the ending is beautiful, sad, and perfect.

I adore Lena. She is an amazing character. She seems to really change so much through the book, because of Alex. Ah, Alex… I really like him. He is amazing and he made me want to cry at the end. There so much I would say, but I would again give spoilers. Let’s just say that the characters are excellent. Loved them.

Lauren Oliver is an amazing writer. Right now, I really have to control myself not to run to the bookstore to get Before I Fall. She writes beautifully, and she captivated me from the first lines. Can’t wait to read Before I Fall, or any other books from her in the near future.

Overall, I would give it a 10/10. I loved it, loved them and loved her. 

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this one on hold at the public library and I'm so excited to read it, especially now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read Delirium as I don't have the time but as soon as I'm done school in May, this one will be among the first books I'll read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel: Thanks!

    @ JessiM: Thanks! I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

    @A Canadian Girl: Good Idea, I had to stay up late to finish some of my homeworks, because I couldn't put this book down.

    ReplyDelete