Saturday, March 05, 2011

Review: Wake

Title: Wake (The Wake Trilogy #1)
Author: Lisa McMann
Number of Pages: 210
Publisher: Simon Pulse

-
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

-

Let’s get over the superficial part of this review… I love the cover of this book, and how they all fit really well together and with the story. Now, with the content. At first, I didn’t really know what to expect from this book, even if I had heard so many great review. Yet, I was still really surprised.

The beginning of this book was really slow for me. It took me a while to really get into this book, but once I was, I couldn’t get my eyes away from it. I found the idea to be really original, and the plot really kept me addicted. The ending fitted really well with the story. I especially like the fact that this book could stand on its own, even if there’s a sequel following, because there has been so many book recently that couldn’t stand on their own, and really needed the sequel. I prefer books with their own ending in it, if you know what I mean.

I adore Janie. I think she is a really great character, but my favorite part was the wonderfully constructed relationship that grows in this book. I love how she makes it bloom. It is nicely realistic.

For the writing part, at first, I couldn’t go past it. It really put me off, but once I got used to it I loved it. It is not that it isn’t well written; McMann simply used a different kind of structure that just didn’t go well for me. The dates and time annoyed me a little a first, because I felt like it was slowing my reading. Still, I didn’t really see them in the end.

This is a really great book, the start of a series I can’t wait to continue. I would give it an 8.5/10, mainly for the beginning.


5 comments:

  1. This looks brilliant! And I love the cover too.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Wake a lot. I read the entire series and I have to say Wake is the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @TheBookAddictedGirl: Thanks!

    @Chic Fir Geek: I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review (totally reflecting my opinions), great book, love it!!
    Oh, and I agree with you, Chic Fit Geek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's so not superficial. The cover is just gorgeous. FACT. XD

    I LOVED this book. I love the writing, the premise, and the characters, but, desptite said love of the writing, it's kind of polarising, huh?

    So glad you liked it and got through the beginning of it. It's worth it!

    ReplyDelete