Thursday, March 03, 2011

Review : After



Title: After
Author: Amy Efaw
Number of Pages: 350
Publisher: Speak

-
An infant left in the trash to die. A teenage mother who never knew she was pregnant . . .
Before That Morning, these were the words most often used to describe straight-A student and star soccer player Devon Davenport: responsible, hardworking, mature. But all that changes when the police find Devon home sick from school as they investigate the case of an abandoned baby. Soon the connection is made—Devon has just given birth; the baby in the trash is hers. After That Morning, there’s only one way to define Devon: attempted murderer.
And yet gifted author Amy Efaw does the impossible— she turns Devon into an empathetic character, a girl who was in such deep denial that she refused to believe she was pregnant. Through airtight writing and fast-paced, gripping storytelling, Ms. Efaw takes the reader on Devon’s unforgettable journey toward clarity, acceptance, and redemption.
-

This book really was something. I find it hard to review, because it talks about such a hard subject. I picked it up because the cover made me curious. I don’t regret buying it.

The plot is well constructed. I love how the book starts after the actual act itself. What we follow is the consequences that this act has on Devon. We learn about what she feels, what she goes thought. It can be emotionally hard on some readers, because of the nature of the subject. I love the ending. I think it is the best ending possible, if we want to be able to feel something positive about Devon.

The characters are excellent. Devon is a rollercoaster of emotions. She is a complicated, but well constructed characters, because what matters in a way is how she reacts to all that is going on. It is what helps us not hating her. The mother is a great character too, but I’m really happy she isn’t mine.

The story is nicely written. It has to, to be able to share that kind of story. She touches the readers through her words. Her words are beautifully full of emotions. I loved it.

Overall, it is a great book. I wouldn’t recommend it to readers who are too young, because it is still a hard subject. I would give it an 8.5/10

5 comments:

  1. Great review! Sounds good - a lot of stories are being focused around this sort of thing at the moment, like Boys Don't Cry and everything!

    Rachel from Booktastic Reviews :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have a hard time reading this one. This EXACT thing (based on the synopsis) occured in my city and the way it ended (in real life) was that the mother "claimed" she didn't know even though she'd had 2 kids prior and the father "didn't know". Mother threw baby in the dumpster and the police found it.
    Sad story, but I don't think I could read a book about it and NOT be biased.

    If the author accomplishes what you say, she must write very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, don't know if I could read this one, even though it sounds good.

    New follower...

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a story that's emotional and very different from anything I've ever read. I love good contemporary YA fiction though and this one seems like it is. Great review! I'll be adding this to my wishlist.

    Btw, I'm a new follower. I can always use more Canadian friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Sounds like my kind of book: I like thinking. And the cover is amazing: I love the reflection of her pregnant.
    Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete