Friday, March 18, 2011

Review: Marked

Title: Marked
Author: P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast
Release Date: May 1st 2007
Series: House of Night #1
Number of Pages: 306
Publisher: St.Martin’s Griffin
Source: Bought

-
The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.
-

I read this book for the first time three years ago. I picked it up, because the cover made me curious. Vampyres that were marked? Interesting. This series ended up being one of my little guilty pleasure.

The story is a fun and entertaining series. It is kind of original, the idea of vampyres being Marked. Still, it is not the greatest novel; it is just entertaining to me. It is easy to read, easy to get into it. The ending is good. It has an ending, which is always a great thing. I thing too many books today don’t have a real ending to their story, simply because they want to write a series.

The characters are fun. They are just so clear, has to what kind of people they are in this one. I like Zoey; she is a strong character. Erik has a little sexy side, that is always fun. Still, my favorite character is definitely Damien! I live this intelligent and fun character.

Okay, let me make this clear. This series is not the most well written series. Does it matter? Not that much to me. It is fun, entertaining. I don’t think it is a series you need to find perfectly well written to enjoy.  It is fun, and that’s all I care about.

Overall, it is a fun series to read. It is perfect to disconnect, or as a summer read.

7/10, for an entertaining series! 

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you; this is a guilty pleasure series. And it's not the most well written either. But I find myself (after the latest novel) to be incredibly tired of it.
    I enjoyed this first novel and the next few to follow, but now I just want it to wrap up and be done with.
    Sadly, I think that there are at least another 4 books planned.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I still need to read this series, I have the first few books sitting on my shelf. I'm now following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog earlier today! I read the first book, and just couldn't get into it lol. To me it seemed the authors tried too hard to be "hip", but I have a bunch of friends who LOVE it. To each her own! Great review!
    Returning your follow...I look forward to reading more of your posts! =)

    ReplyDelete